A Walk with Ancestors

A Walk with Ancestors

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The Gupton Family

The Children of James Gupton Jr.





Martha



I believe that Martha is my link to James Gupton Sr. However, as family genealogists, we occasionally come across that one record that stops us in our tracks and makes us question our research. 

Starting with my grandmother Jodie Radford I can make all the connections up to Martha Gupton. That is not an issue. But the link to Martha and her father is my problem now. I could ignore that one record but it would always make me question that connection and when in doubt.....

That one record is the 1880 Federal Census. 



Algenon is the son of William Evans and Martha Gupton. In 1880 he is living in Thomas J Gupton's household and listed as "nephew".. This Thomas J Gupton is the son of Stephen Gupton and has a sister Martha that never marries.. OR is that wrong?

Martha passed away before the 1870 Federal Census. In 1880 William was still living in the Sandy Creek Township with five of his children. 

Martha had 10 children between 1843 and 1865 when her last child was born. 

Her daughter, Cleopatra married Wesley Radford and had a large family also. This is a picture of Wesley Radford and his ten sons. Cleopatra was the mother of nine of the sons. I will be discussing this family on a later date.



Back to the issue for  today. What am I to do.... 

I have to go back and look at my previous research and make sure I have the correct Thomas and Martha children of James Gupton Jr.

One reason I believe I have the right Martha, is the results of my DNA test. It shows that James Gupton is my 4 times great grandfather.  I share DNA with other descendants of James but through other children. (Daniel and Thomas) There are 13 members of this DNA circle and I share DNA with all of them.

As I continue to research this "problem" document, I will continue to post about the Gupton family.
It might be time to look to Missouri.....

Thanks for stopping by!
Pattie

No comments:

Post a Comment