A Walk with Ancestors

A Walk with Ancestors

Saturday, July 8, 2017

Searching for the Right Brewer Family

The Brewer Family Line


I am currently researching the Brewer Family. I have links to them on both my mother and father's line. This is a family that migrated from Virginia to Tennessee, Alabama, North Carolina and more. 
I started with Ancestry and then moved to other sites. One of the sites I discovered has been around for several years and provides documentation and DNA analysis.


The creators of this site is gathering DNA evidence to prove the Brewer lineage. Then they compare the DNA with published information about the family. According to the DNA research my George Brewer is NOT the son of John Brewer of Jamestown. Basically what this website is saying is that most of the information found on Ancestry and other genealogy sites is incorrect. Hmmm

With all this conflicting information I began my own research. I have found so much information about the Brewer family that I am overwhelmed to say the least. 

George Brewer is where I will begin. 

 The document to begin research with is his will. (Sorry it is in four parts) His Will is in Brunswick County, Virginia and names his children.

The legacy transcribed:

"I give Devise and bequeath unto my Son William Brewer that parcel of Land whereon he now Dwelleth beginning at the branch on this side of his house and w on the South side thereof to him & his heirs forever."

"I Devise and bequeath unto my son Oliver Brewer all the rest of this Tract of Land where on I now Dwell to him and his heirs forever."

"I give Devise and bequeath unto my son Henry Brewer all that Tract of Land between Fountain Creek and Rattle Snake Creek to him and his heirs forever."

"I give Devise and bequeath unto my son Nathaniel Brewer two hundred and fifty acres of Land lying on both sides of the old Roanoak Road to him and his heirs forever."

"I give Devise and bequeath unto my Daughter Sarah Vick one hundred and fifty acres of Land lying on both sides of the old Roanoak Road aforesaid to her and the heirs of her body forever."

"I give and bequeath unto Alice* my Dearly beloved wife this Estate whereon we now Dwell together with all my household goods and Stock both within Doors and without Doors for the maintainance of all my Younger Children that it hath pleased God to give me by her during her Life or until she marry again."

"I give unto my son Lanier Brewer a young steer." **

"I give unto my son George Brewer a young steer."

"I give unto my son Nicholas Brewer a cow and calf."

"I give unto my son John Brewer a cow and calf."

"I give unto my son Howl Brewer a young horse that we call Snip and Feathers to make him a bed."

"I give unto my son Henry Brewer a young horse that we call Patrick and a gunn."

"I give unto my son Oliver Brewer a gunn."

"I give unto my son Nathaniel Brewer a gunn."

"It is my true will intent and pleasure that when my wife die or marry again that my personal estate together with all my household goods and stock both within Doors and without Doors maybe equally divided among my younger children that hath pleased God to give me by her."

"And Lastly I do hereby Constitute make and ordain my Dearly beloved wife Alice my Exctx and my son Hoel Brewer my Excor of this my Last will and Testament..."

His wife, Alice was his second wife. His first wife was Sarah Lanier. We have no definitive proof of the marriage. It is through the Will of John Lanier, her father, that we know about Sarah. John wrote his Will on 5 Jan 1718 and left his daughter, Sarah Brewer, a cow or heifer of three years. This is all we know about Sarah. There is no evidence of her birth, marriage or death. 

 Louise Ingersoll’s, Lanier, A Genealogy of the Family who came to Virginia makes suggestions about Sarah's birth, marriage and death. But does not provide evidence.

Brewer Families of Colonial Virginia by Marvin T. Broyhill and The Long Brewer Line by Ben R. Brewer do not provide the reader with copies of the original documents.   

"Genealogy without proof is mythology" is a favorite saying of many genealogists. 

So, we look for proof..

From this point.. research the children, a daunting task.

Thanks for stopping by!

Pattie

No comments:

Post a Comment