A Walk with Ancestors

A Walk with Ancestors

Thursday, September 22, 2016

The Gupton Family

James Gupton


In my last post I ended with Stephen, James, and Abner in Franklin County. So I will pick up where I left off. 

The funny thing I have learned during my research is how many different connections I have with this family. It turns out that James is my 5 times great grandfather and so is Stephen! 

James married Sarah Foster in 1752 probably in the Northern Neck area of Virginia.

James Gupton is found in several records in Bute County. 

In 1771 James was a taxpayer in Bute County, North Carolina.

On 13 Aug 1772 it was recorded in the Court minutes that Benjamin Perry was appointed overseer of the road in James Gupton's room.

James took the Oath of Allegiance in William Alston's District during 1775-6.

"I will bare faithful and true allegiance to the State of North Carolina and will truly endeavor to support maintain and defend the Independent Goverm't thereof against George the third King of Great Britain and his successors and the attempts of any other persons, prince, power, State, or potentate who by secret are treason conspire copies or by open force shall attempt to subject the same and I will in every respect conduct myself as a peaceful orderly subject and that I will disclose and make known to the Governor (or) some member of the Council of State or some Justice of the Superior Courts or of the peace all treason conspiracies and attempts committed or intended against the State which shall come to my knowledge- so help you God."
 
The Oath had to be administered by justices of their districts to qualify the men to vote for members in the election.

Both of the records below were during 1777 and found in the Bute County Minutes for the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions



He is found in the 1790 Federal Census:


He appears again in 1800 in the Federal Census.

His will was recorded in 1807.

James and Sarah had the following children:

  • Abner born in 1761 died 20 Aug 1859
  • Sarah born in 1752
  • James born in 1778 and died in June 1845 (my 4 times great grandfather)
  • Winifred born in 1775 died in 1843
  • Robert born 24 Feb 1776 died after 1850
  • Susannah born in 1782 died in 1819
  • Rhosamond born 1759
  • Thomas born 3 Apr 1784 and died 28 Nov 1843
  • Nancy born 1766
Next post will be about Abner Gupton - an interesting man that left North Carolina.

Thanks for stopping by!
Pattie



No comments:

Post a Comment