A Walk with Ancestors

A Walk with Ancestors

Friday, September 23, 2016

The Gupton Family

Abner



Abner would be my uncle but he was such a character that I have to share what I have discovered about him.

Abner came to Bute County, North Carolina with his father, James, and his uncle, Stephen. Because of the Federal Census records we can determine that he was born around 1761.

Abner was a soldier in the War for Independence and was wounded at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse in North Carolina that was fought on 15 March 1781. (I have now found three great grandfathers that fought in this battle.)

In the 1790 Federal Census Abner is listed living alone in Franklin County, NC.

Abner married Judith Hunt, daughter of James Hunt Sr. and Mary Rackley, in Franklin County on 30 Aug 1796. Their marriage record is a bit hard to read as the ink has faded over time. 


Abner and Judith are found in the census records in North Carolina in 1800. Four of their children; Mary "Polly", James H., Sarah "Sally", and Abner Jr. were born in North Carolina.

On 29 Dec 1807, Abner sold his 617 acres of land on both sides of Cypress Swamp to Michiel Eley for the sum of 3000 silver dollars. (Franklin County, NC)

Shortly after selling his land Abner joined the increasing number of residents in North Carolina that immigrated west. 

There is an interesting series of articles on North Carolina Digital history about the reason so many North Carolina residents left and the nickname "The Rip Van Winkle State". Here is the link for that series of articles.

On 21 Jul 1808 Abner purchased his first tract of land in Tennessee for the sum of $900.00. This tract of 300 acres in Montgomery County was on Half Pone Creek. Less than two months later he added to his acreage by purchasing for the sum of $640.00 320 acres (4 Sep 1808).

Below is land acquired in 1830.


According to the tradition, he erected a block-house at the forks of Half Pone and Raccoon Creeks for protection from the bands of hostile Native Americans that were roving in the area.  Here Abner lived for 51 years and where three more children were born; Judith, Robert Thomas and Elizabeth.

Abner served as Magistrate of Montgomery County for many years. 

In an interview of his grandson's widow, Mary Pardue, she described Abner as the most beloved resident of Montgomery County in his day and "everybody knew him as Grand Daddy Ab". She also said the following:
He owned just about all the land from Clarksville to Ashland City, and whenever poor folks came along and no way to support their wives and children, he just told them to "go over there on that hill and build you a cabin and go to work". He would give them that land and pay the taxes on it for them. Grand Daddy Ab was, I reckon, the richest man this county ever saw. He had a hundred and eight slaves and thousands of acres of land. He owned property fifteen miles wide from Clarksville to Ashland City. Just about all of it was lost during the war.(Civil War)

Abner also gave the land for the Mount Herman Baptist Church that descendants of Abner still worship. Found in Deed Book T, page 334 is the registered deed witnessed by Abner Hunter and Nimrod Gupton on 16 Dec 1843.

In the 1830 Federal Census it is recorded that two individuals living there are deaf and dumb.
From his will we know that Abner Jr was deaf and dumb.

Abner and Judith had 7 children. They were:

  1. Mary Polly Gupton- born in 1799 in NC, married to Thomas Hunter on 20 Mar 1817.
  2. James H. Gupton - born 1800 in NC, Married three times; Sarah Hale, Martha Moke, Margaret Dowling. Moved to Scott Missouri.
  3. Sarah "Sally" Gupton born 1804 in NC. married John "Jack" Pardue Jr about 1820
  4. Abner Gupton Jr. born in 1805 in NC, married Jane Batts 19 May 1844, died 18 Jul 1856 in Montgomery Tenn.
  5. Judith Gupton born 1808 in Tenn, married Enoch Dozier
  6. Robert Thomas Gupton born 15 Jun 1811 in Tenn. married Martha Henrietta Power, died 22 Oct 1866
  7. Elizabeth Gupton born 1818 in Tenn, married Matthew Hale


Abner wrote two wills, the first was recorded in the Cheatham County Courthouse in Ashland City, Tennessee in Will Book A pgs 127-130. He wrote this first will when he was about 80 years old and written on 5 Apr 1841. Judith died 9 days later on 14 Apr 1841 at the age of 63 years.
Five months later a license was issued on 14 Sep 1841 for the intended marriage of Abner Gupton to the widow, Martha A. Power.  They were married on 5 Oct 1841 by his son, Robert Thomas Gupton, Justice of the Peace.

Abner's Wills:








































Transcribed First Will:

I ABNER GUPTON do make and publish this as my last will and testament hereby revoking and making void all other Wills by Me any time made.

First, I direct that my funeral expenses and all my debts be paid as soon after My death as possible out of any Monies that I May die possessed of May first come into the hands of My executor.

Secondly, If my Wife JUDITH GUPTON should survive Me in life My estate all is to stay in on Common stock in her charge til her death, and after the death of us both I want it divided in seven equal shares and distributed as follows.

1st unto the heirs of MARY HUNTER My daughter, I will one seventh share and I appoint Mary Hunter My daughter their executors to keep the said share and its increase together, till her death and after her death to be divided among them.

2nd Unto the heirs of SARAH PARDUE My daughter I will one seventh share and I appoint Sarah Pardue and John Pardue her husband their executor and executrix to Keep the said share and its increase together till the death of Sarah Pardue, My daughter and after her death to be equally divided amongst her heirs.

3 Unto the lawful begotten of JAMES GUPTON My son I will one seventh share and I appoint James Gupton, My son their excutor to keep the said James Gupton my son and after  his death the said Share and its increase to his lawful begotten heirs.

4th Unto ABNER GUPTON My son I leave one seventh share to have and to hold, during his life time and its increase and after his death the said Abner Gupton My son I want it divided as stated in the other shares and appoint Robert T. Gupton his executor, to act for the said Abner Gupton, my son.

5th Unto Judith Gupton, My daughter I leave one seventh share to have and to hold during her life time and if the said Judith Gupton My daughter should marry and have heirs at her death the said Judith Gupton My daughter the said seventh share to be equally divided among them.

6th Unto the lawful heirs of ROBERT T GUPTON My son I will one seventh share the said share is to be kept together and its increase till the death of My son Robert Gupton and after his death to be equally divided among all his lawful begotten heirs and I appoint R.T. Gupton My son their executor.

7th Unto the lawful begotten heir of ELIZABETH HALE My daughter I will one seventh share the said share its increase till the death of Elizabeth Hale My daughter and after her death to be equally divided amongst all her children that she may leave and I appoint Matthew T. Hale and Elizabeth Hale their executor and executrix.

And futher if any of my Children should die without one heir the share or shares they draw for their children is to be divided amongst My children that had heirs as stated.

Lastly I do hereby Nominate and appoint James and Robert T. Gupton My executors to comply with my above name distribution in witness whereof I do to this My will set My hand and seal this 5th day of April 1841.

In Abner's second will we learn that Abner Jr married without his father's knowledge and had children. Abner's choice of words used in this new will made it clear that he was not happy about the marriage. 
"Whereas I have been informed that some years ago my deaf and dumb son, ABNER GUPTON was married to one Jane Batts without my knowledge or consent, and since said marriage up to the death of my son ABNER which took place two years ago and up to his death and since the said Jane has had several children some of which I learn is now living, and for reasons best known to myself I make this my wish will and desire. I will unto the said Jane and her children twenty five acres of land including the place she now lives on running back to Pool line and run so as to take half the spring and this all her said children is to have in my estate after my death that I may die seized and possessed of in any shape form or fashion in land or equity"



 

Abner died on 20 Aug 1859 and was buried near his home at the forks of Half Pone and Raccoon Creeks. His descendants located his grave and place a headstone in the family cemetery.


Below is a map of the county that marks the location of the Gupton land.  (bottom right )


I hope you have enjoyed reading the story about Uncle Abner.

Thanks for stopping by!

Pattie


sorry for the issue with the background. after retyping it several times, I have given up. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment