A Walk with Ancestors

A Walk with Ancestors

Friday, June 10, 2016

DNA Discoveries

DNA Results

I did the DNA test with Ancestry several months back. Although they have revamped their algorithm for matches, I am still looking at many matches. The thing that I find amazing is as soon as I find a new person for my tree I get matches related to them. 

The results that I have are helping me feel more confident about my tree. The Neal branch has always left me wondering if I was on the right track. Today, while going through matches for my brother's DNA test, I discovered a match that made me feel like I am on the right track. Although we both are in the DNA circle for the Rodwell family that married into the Neal family, previously it did not go farther back. Today there was a match through the Neal line three more generations back. Yay!

Earlier possible matches or discoveries had the name Upchurch. I had no idea who or where they fit in. After revamping their test results, these suggestions disappeared. Last night I found the link to the Upchurch family. 

Today I also found a link to James West. There is a DNA circle for his son Peter and my brother and I are both matches for this circle, however there were no matches to James, until today!

Earlier I mentioned the match to Peter Smart, who was Peter Collins' grandfather. 

I am waiting for the matches for my mother. I had her tested and they are working on it now. She is my oldest living ancestor. I know that our tests will be very similar but there was something that came up in my brother and my tests that we would like to figure out which side of the family it is from. Of course we may never figure out this mystery.

My daughters were interested in how their DNA would be different from mine and each other. We submitted their tests over Memorial Day week. My brother and I have similar ethnicity, but very different percentages. Will this be the case with my girls?? Can't wait to find out! Just like my brother and I, the girls are very different in appearance. My youngest daughter is my mini me while my oldest is her paternal grandmother and aunt's mini me. Will this show in their results?

DNA matches and ethnicity is making the search for branches in my tree more exciting and interesting. If you haven't had your DNA done, I really think you will find it interesting. 

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts on DNA today. 
Until next time, have fun climbing your family tree!!
Pattie





No comments:

Post a Comment