A Walk with Ancestors

A Walk with Ancestors

Sunday, June 5, 2016

The West Family Line- Luther Martin West

Luther Martin West

Luther and Kate


I have written about Luther and Kate before in this blog, however, I will revisit them to close the story of the West family. Iva, their daughter, is my grandmother and I will share more about her in the future. 

Luther was the fifth child of Robert West and Elizabeth Greenway. He was born in Granville County, North Carolina. Shortly after his birth Robert moved his family to Franklin County, North Carolina and settled in the White Level community. He lost his mother in 1899 to an illness that resulted in the family taking her to Baltimore for treatment. She died while in Maryland. 

Luther married Kate Louise Pearce on 22 Feb 1905. She was the daughter of Doctor Buck Pearce and Carolina Virginia Gupton of Franklin County.

Luther and Kate moved to Lumberton as Luther worked in the tobacco industry. By 1910 they were living again in the White Level community of Franklin County.

Iva West was born on 19 Aug 1908. She would marry my grandfather, Clyde W. Leonard, on 2 Mar 1929. They would have four children.

Iva


Iva West
Nina West was born 19 Sep 1910. Nina married Roscoe Breaver and had two sons. Nina and Roscoe moved to Charlotte, North Carolina.



Luther - Nina - Kate


Doctor Bruce West was born 3 Sep 1912. During his early years he suffered a high fever that left him disabled and unable to care for himself. Unfortunately when he grew to big to be cared for at home, the family was forced to put him in the Caswell Training School where he died at 28 years old.

Robert GrahamWest  was born 23 Jul 1914. He married Ertie Hope Leonard 27 Mar 1935. They had two daughters. Graham and Ertie moved to Newport News Virginia, Their daughter, Jean, is living in Texas now.

Graham West

Hazel Leona West was born 30 Jul 1916. She married Thomas K. Jones on 14 Nov 1936. They had four sons. 

Kelly - Doug - Hazel


Kellie Louise West was born 10 Mar 1920. She married John Bobbitt on 29 Jul 1937. They had two daughters. They moved to Newport News, Virginia,

Luther Douglas West was born 20 May 1922. He married Marie Collins on 27 Nov 1951. They did not have any children.

Douglas West




Doug served his country during World War II.

During his life Luther and brother Sol ran a small community store. Uncle Doug continued to run the store and I remember going there with my grandmother, Iva, when I was a little girl. Another memory I have is of the large noisy chicken house behind the family home. My favorite story about Uncle Doug is when he put the sweet potato in my trick or treat bag.

I know my uncles have stories to share, and they read this blog, so I hope they will email me some of their favorite memories. HINT HINT!!

Mama West passed away on 2 Apr 1959, my memories of her are very vague as I was only 5 years old. Papa West passed away on 4 Nov 1963 and those memories are a bit clearer.

Here are a few more family pictures to enjoy in random order. I have labeled them who I believe they are. If I am wrong, please correct me!

Luther and Kate

Jack Beaver


Kate

Doug and my mother, Drucilla

Iva, Nina, and my uncle Gary

Iva

Luther and Kate

Luther and Kate
Iva's children
Doug and Marie


Graham, Ertie, Jean, Patsy

Jean

Kate
Luther, Kate and children

Kate and I think Bruce

Kate Graham and Hazel
Luther and Kate


This concludes my posts on the West family, for now. 

During the last few weeks I have made some random discoveries about branches in the family tree that I am very excited about. Look for them in upcoming posts!!

Thanks for stopping by!

Pattie

No comments:

Post a Comment