A Walk with Ancestors

A Walk with Ancestors

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Searching for the Right Brewer Family

 The Mystery of Obedience "Biddy" King


Biddy was the daughter of Charles King a Revolutionary War Soldier. While researching the Brewer family I stumbled onto another contradiction in earlier research. 

Obedience King married William Brewer in 1814. Below is their marriage bond. It is hard to read - issued in Orange County North Carolina. 

William Brewer and Biddy King Marriage Bond 1814

When Charles King wrote his will in 1810 he mentions Biddy. However, she was not married to William at the time so Charles just wrote "my daughter Biddy". 

Tradition had William moving to Franklin County and marrying again. But now that is questionable. Why? For this new information I first turned to Charles King's pension documents and found this:


Above the purple line are the dates that Charles and his wife died, as well as, the names of their children and who they married. It says that Biddy was married to Archy Price. 

Next, I went searching for that information... and found this:

Archibald Price and Biddy Brewer 1821

From this document we can confirm that this is the same Biddy that married William Brewer and is the daughter of Charles King.

So, more questions arise. What happened to William Brewer? Did the marriage end? Did he die? Did he just leave? 

In 1850 Biddy and Archy are living Orange County, North Carolina. Biddy is 65 and Arch is 55 according to the Federal Census.

Archibald's probate is in 1853, but documents that I have found are related to his debts and having to sell his land to cover them. It seems he died instate. 

We know/think that the William Brewer of Franklin County, that married Sally Leonard in 1845 is our ancestor. But the copy of his will that I have only listed the names of his daughters and grandson.... 

Our ancestor is John Jack Brewer and according to the census records for him he was born about 1804... hmmm that doesn't mesh with the marriages of William Brewer.

Well, the more I research the Brewer Family the more questions I have. I am going to put the Brewers to the side for now and move on to my husband's side of the family. In the future I hope to blog about the Hunt, Allman, Lloyd, Belcher, Holland, Hogan, English and Ayres families. My girls have been asking for information about their daddy's side. 

Thanks for stopping by!
If you have any answers to my questions, please share with me.

Pattie

No comments:

Post a Comment