A Walk with Ancestors

A Walk with Ancestors

Monday, August 14, 2017

The Twin Chimneys and Dudley

The Dudley Family



Connection to the Hunt Family

How are the Hunt and Dudley families connected?  

Benjamin O. Hunt married Mary Ann English on 15 Nov 1888 in Franklin County.

Mary Ann's father was George William English (1831 - 1900).

George's father was Thomas English (1796 - 1847).

Thomas's mother was Adara Dudley (1773 - 1851)

Adara's father was Gwyn Dudley (1750 - 1827)

This makes Gwyn my husband's 5 times great grandfather.

Gwyn Dudley

Gwyn was born in Middlesex County, Virginia about 1750 to Thomas Dudley and Joyce.
The first mention of Gwyn is in 1757 when his uncle Peyton Dudley left him and his brother Thomas and his sister Lucy property in his will in Middlesex County. Thomas and Lucy's are found in the Christ Church Parish Registry. 
  • Lucy, daughter of Thomas and Joyce Dudley born 4 Jan 1742 (pg 155)
  • Thomas, son of Thomas and Joice Dudley born Apr 21 ? (pg 287)
Christ Church Parish in Middlesex is on the narrow peninsula between the Rappahannock and Piaktank Rivers.

In my next post I will discuss Gwyn's parents and his ancestors.

Gwyn has had many different spellings in the records, for this blog I will stick to the spelling Gwyn, unless I site a specific document.

Gwyn moved to Bedford County Virginia as a young boy. Around 1771 he married the daughter of Colonel Edward Hale, Mary E. Hale.

Gwyn and Mary had the following children:
  • Levi born about 1778.
  • Thomas born 1772.
  • James born 1785.
  • Stephen born 1779.
  • Elizabeth born 1774
  • Adderly or Adara born 1773.
  • Fanny born 1779.

In August of 1777 Gwin Dudley was drafted into John W. Wilkerson's company of the Bedford County Militia for Revolutionary War service. There is a bit confusion about his service but it is believed now that he found and paid a substitute to assume his military service. His substitute was William Murphy. Although he didn't serve in the military his support by furnishing supplies to the Continental Army were certified in Bedford County Court in 1782 and 1796. He was awarded 111 acres of land in Franklin County for his services. There are several individuals that have joined the SAR or DAR as his descendant. (Sons or Daughters of the American Revolution)

Gwyn is on the list of taxable property in Bedford County in 1782. He was taxed 30 pounds for his land and personal property that included 4 horses and 12 cattle. 

Mary died by 1797 when Gwyn married again to Mary Pasley, the daughter of Robert Pasley of Fluvanna County. They had two more children; Gwyn Jr. and Lewis.

By the time of this marriage, Franklin County was newly formed. In November of 1782 the inhabitants of Bedford County and Henry County petitioned the state to create a new county, Franklin. The petition stated it was extremely inconvenient attending business by reason of bad roads and their remote situation from the Court House. Gwyn's name on the petition is spelled Guinn.

In 1787 he is on the Franklin County tax list for 6 horses or mules and 18 head of cattle.

On 5 Jun 1797 William Ryan and wife Sarah deeded 200 acres on the Blackwater River to Gwin Dudley adjacent to property already owned by Dudley.

The 1800 and 1815 tax lists for Franklin County Gwyn is listed again.

1790 Franklin County tax 

1800 tax list


1810 Census 

Gwyn died in 1832. Below is his will.



Franklin Co., VA Will Book 2, pages 10-11
In the Name of God Amen, I Gwyn Dudley of Franklin County, County being weak but of perfect mind and memory, and calling to mind the mortality of my body, do make and ordain this my Last Will and testament, that is to say, First it is my desire that all my just debts should be paid, and then, I give and bequeath to my Daughter Elizabeth English one Feather Bed and furniture and Horse beast, and Cow and one Negro Girl Jemimah now in possession, to her and her heirs forever. I also give to my Son Thomas Dudley, one Horse beast, and feather Bed and furniture and Cow and Sixty Seven Acres of Land, lying on the Road joining Stephen English, and half the value of my Negro Man James, which Negro to be Equally divided between him and Stephen Dudley to him and his heirs forever. I also give to my Daughter Addery English one Feather Bed and furniture and one Horse beast and Cow now in her possession, also one Negro Girl Sarah, to her and the lawful heirs of her body forever. I also gi!
ve to my Son Levy Dudley one Horse beast, and Feather Bed and furniture, one Cow and one hundred Acres of Land lying on the Road now in his possession to him and his heirs forever. I also give to my Daughter Fanny Kemp one Horse beast, one Feather Bed and furniture, one Cow and one Negro Girl Hannah, Now in her possession to her and her heirs forever. I also give to my Son James Dudley, one Horse beast, one Feather Bed and Furniture, one Cow and one hundred Acres of Land now in his possession to him and his heirs forever. I also give to my Son Stephen Dudley one Horse beast one Feather Bed and furniture, one Cow and Sixty Seven Acres of Land now in his possession, to him and his heirs forever. And now it is my desire that my beloved wife Mary Dudley should keep and enjoy the Land I now live on, with all my Stock of every description and of all my House and kitchen furniture, with all my plantation Utensils and also one Negro Woman Janney I Give to my Wife Mary Dudley during
her natural life and then I give to my Son Lewis Dudley one Negro girl Silsa one Negro Boy Moses, also one half of the Land I now live on, at my wife's death or Marriage. I also give to my Son Gwyn Dudley, one Negro girl Medley, one Negro Boy Abram, also one half of the Land I now live on at my wife's death or marriage. It is also my desire if either of my Sons Lewis Dudley, or Gwyn Dudley, should die without heirs, his part of my Estate return to the other Brother. I also desire if my Wife should Marry that all of my Estate she enjoyed except Jinney, should be Equally divided between my two Sons Lewis Dudley and Gwyn Dudley, and Jinney, also with her increase, at my wife's death to them and their heirs forever and lastly I constitute and appoint my wife Mary Dudley, and my Son Lewis Dudley Executors of this my last will and Testament ratifying and confirming This and no other, to be my last Will and Testament. In witness whereof I have set my hand and seal this sixth day January 1818.
Gwyn Dudley {Seal}
Sign'd and Sealed in presents of
Rob't Pasley Sen'r
her
Salley x Pasley
mark
her
Phebe x Maxey
mark
Bernard G. Hendrick
At a Circuit Superior Court of Law and Chancery continued and held for Franklin County at the Courthouse the 11th day of May 1832. This Last Will and Testament of Gwyn Dudley dec'd was produced in Court and the Court of appeals having affirm the Judgment and order made in the late Superior Court of Law of [off side of paper] County whereby it was considered that the said Will should be recor [off side of paper] in that Court - It is now ordered that the said Will be recorded this Court. And on the motion of Lewis Dudley the Surviving Executor named in the said Will, who took the oath prescribed [by] Law, and together with Benjamin Booth and Francis Divers securities entered into and acknowledged their Bond in the penalty of four thousand dollars, conditioned according to Law, certificate granted him for obtaining a probat hereof in due form.
Teste - Caleb Tate CC


Will of Gwyn Dudley of Franklin County, Virginia



The Twin Chimney on Gwyn's home site is now on the National and Virginia Register of Historic Places. Early records show the location of his home at the time was know as "Foul Ground Creek".
The site is marked by two chimneys but because of the construction it is the South Chimney that was probably attached to his home.  On that chimney is a stone tablet inscribed with the initials of the builder. 

south chimney

The Chimneys or Gwyn's homeplace is located at the end of Twin Chimney Drive off Burnt Chimney Road. 


This is the story of Gwyn Dudley. I do not know for sure but I guess the area known today as Dudley is named after this man and his descendants.

Thanks for stopping by!
Next post will be more about the Dudley family. 

Pattie

No comments:

Post a Comment