A Walk with Ancestors

A Walk with Ancestors

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

The Leonard Family

John Leonard


Today I have spent almost all day looking for more records for the John Leonard that was the father of our Franklin County John Leonard. 

It is pretty frustrating when researching in the burnt counties of Virginia. However I have found a few things that make me continue to search. 

This is a map of Prince George County, Virginia in 1864. Granted this is well after our John appeared in Franklin County but going on the assumption that the entire family did not leave Virginia, this map has more meaning.

The Leonard family is still in Prince George County!

Another interesting find today was a Vandevan Leonard living in Prince George about the same time as our John left. Vandevan is a unique name that we also find in the descendants of John in Franklin County. Possibly a family name?

Here is a section of the Hildebrand map showing early settlers of Prince George.

The Leonard land in this map looks a lot like the map of 1864.

Looks like I have found the Leonard land in Prince George County. What else can I find? 

While I am looking at maps I downloaded maps showing the formation of the counties in Virginia. Looking at this might help explain why some of the records for John are in other counties.


Prince George County was not formed before 1700. The area labeled Charles City would become part of Prince George. Henrico County is bordering what would become Prince George. I have found records of a John Leonard and his wife Mary listed in the Henrico records. Our John? Can't say..


This map above is from 1731-1740. Now there is a Prince George County and Amelia County. Amelia County was formed from Henrico. AND I have records for Amelia for a John Leonard. hmmm..


The map above shows more changes....


In the map for 1761-1770, above, look at how Prince George has changed. Dinwiddie has taken some of Prince George County. 

I guess what I will need to do is look at all the counties for records; Charles City, Prince George, Henrico, Amelia and Dinwiddie.  The family stayed in one place but the boundaries kept changing. 

I also want to look into this Vandevan Leonard that was from Prince George and eventually settled in Georgia.. He has to be related some how!

Next post I will share some of the records I have found.

Thanks for stopping by!
Pattie


No comments:

Post a Comment