A Walk with Ancestors

A Walk with Ancestors

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The Leonards of North Carolina

Seraphna


During our family reunion some documents were shared that my cousin had discovered. Among the documents were letters to Seraphna written by her first husband Jim Murphy. What a treasure they are!


And while at war: 




"I think sometimes if only I could get home I would never leave there again in my life it does actually seem hard for me just in the bloom of life to spend so much of my days in this miserable life in such .... unholy war as this is but if we ever gain an independence we will certainly no the good of it peaceful home and country, but for all this I feel proud that I am a soldier in defense of my country and home." 
James was killed October 14, 1863.


No comments:

Post a Comment