A Walk with Ancestors

A Walk with Ancestors

Friday, March 11, 2016

James Collins (1758-1838)

James Collins

October 18, 1758 - December 23, 1838

American Revolutionary War Soldier

I just spent over two hours transcribing his application/testimony in the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions on September 12, 1832. My eyes are crossed and my head is beginning to hurt! The pages are written on the front and back of the document and the ink bled through in places. I couldn't get all the words but enough. Let me show you the first page of the document.

I did however get some important information! He gave his birthdate and birthplace in the document. He also described his service. He was in the battle of Guilford Courthouse and Cumden. He was drafted during his first three months of service but volunteered two more times for three months each. 

Reading these documents are almost like listening to him talk. His file for the U.S. Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Applications is full of pages, thankfully some look like this:




Hope you enjoy these documents, if you want to see the transcription of his testimony, let me know and I will share!

Thanks for stopping by!

Pattie

No comments:

Post a Comment