A Walk with Ancestors

A Walk with Ancestors

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

A Tale of Love and Marriage

John T. Neal


In 1980, when I first began looking into my family tree, I was fortunate to be able to sit down and talk with my granddaddy, Louis Neal. He told me the story of his mother and father and it has an interesting twist. 

Granddaddy was born in Franklin County, North Carolina to John T. Neal and Jodie Bartholomew. This was John's second marriage. His first marriage was to Luna Lee Bartholomew. Were Jodie and Luna related? Yep, they were sisters. 

John T. Neal (AKA Jno T) was from Warren County, North Carolina. His parents were John L. Neal (AKA Jack) and Ann Rodwell. 

I believe this to be a picture of Jack and his family.


John T. Neal moved to Franklin County, North Carolina before his marriage to Luna. At the age of 25 he married Luna Bartholomew from Nash County. Luna was 19 at the time. They were married at the home of Luna's parents; Sidney Wiley Bartholomew and Martha Lancaster Bartholomew in Castalia, North Carolina. 



In the 1900 census of Gold Mine, Franklin County, North Carolina John, Luna, their children (Johnnie, Hattie, and Eula) and Jodie were living in the same household. Granddaddy told me that Luna was ill and Jodie, her younger sister, moved into the home to help out with the children and the running of the home. 

Luna passed away June 10, 1901, one year later. Her sister wrote her obituary.


Six months later, John T. Neal and Jodie are married on December 4, 1901 at the home of J.T. Neal. John was 44 years old and Jodie was 20.


I am not certain when this picture was taken, so I can not be sure if this picture shows Luna or Jodie. What do you think?? I seem to recall Granddaddy saying it was Jodie.


Jodie and John led an interesting life in Centerville, even making the Franklin Times on occasion. 

A little hard to read, but marriage licenses issued in November 1901

Another that is a bit hard to read.

One of my favorites is below.


And last



John passed away July 8, 1917
Going over this with recently with my mother I realized that the obituary leaves out one of the daughters!


John, Luna, and Jodie are all buried in the cemetery at Mt. Zion Church



Look for the post tomorrow, another tale of love and marriage that includes war and tragedy!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment