A Walk with Ancestors

A Walk with Ancestors

Monday, February 22, 2016

DNA and Genealogy

DNA Testing and Genealogy




Recently I submitted my sample to Ancestry and just got the results back. I have been spending quite a lot of time trying to figure this out. Ancestry does autosomal DNA testing. Which tests more than the other choices out there. They compare your DNA to over a million other samples that are already in their databases. The nice thing about testing at Ancestry is that it will continue to update my matches as new people are tested. 

They determined my ethnicity by comparing my DNA to people that have a long history in regions of the world. This is how mine came out. 


Finding out that I was 39% Irish was a bit of a surprise.. So this means my passage back in time will eventually be to Ireland. One of the other regions was Great Britain, hmm what to make of all this. 

I also have DNA matches to what they call circles that surround a common ancestor. Two circles that I have this match with is the Pearce line and the West line. No surprises there. 

Another feature is potential matches, another circle around a common ancestor that is not in my tree as yet, 

One of these is a John Tipton Shell and I have no idea who he is. My DNA matches 2 of the 6 members of his circle. Guess I have some work to do. 

There are many videos on You Tube that helps explain DNA testing. If you are interested, start there to discover the three types of DNA testing, how they make the matches, and how it fits into genealogy. 

Now to get more family members tested, and I know just who I am going to go to.... 

Thanks for stopping by. see you soon!

Pattie

No comments:

Post a Comment